Monday, March 24, 2014

The tale of a Gordon's Bay Spotted Wobbegong Shark and a passing Common Stingray

(24 March 2014, Acrylics-watercolours on paper)

The tale of Spotty Wobby and the nodding Ray Yay 
Camouflaged and hidden from plain sight,
Away from Gordon's Bay bright light,
Spotty Wobby senses with whiskers not slight,
On his own, with dedicated fight.

Not too far from him is incoming Ray Yay,
Creeping towards Wobby, without even a hey,
They don't normally have too much to say,
Not just today, like any other day.

Wobby's mind somehow feels contrite,
Deep in thought, feeding with delight,
Why do our parents spite?
My reasoning feels right, definitely dight.

Grey shadows appear, are they from the bay?
Clumsily moving towards me, surely it is not Ray Yay!
Annoying, prodding, please please go away,
Ray Yay nodded at me and then went away.
(Sitiwin, E., 24 March 2014, Bondi Junction, NSW)



The reason for my much elevated level of excitement......
 at Gordon's Bay yesterday was due to seeing a Spotted Wobbegong shark (Orectolobus maculatus) and at the same time, a passing Common Stingray (Dasyatis pastinaca).

As I have never seen a Spotted Wobbegong shark before, I was initially scared at what I was seeing. At first sight, I thought it was an awfully big sea Catfish. Catfish is a fresh water fish that I am completely familiar with and common in Borneo. This unfamiliar fish had sensing whiskers under its mouth (I found out that they are called sensor barbs) and they were constantly prodding into the sandy bottom. I guessed it was filtering for food and CH reminded me that it is a bottom feeder. Its colour fascinated me. As the light was fading fast, it gave Spotty Wobby, the nickname I bestowed to the shark, a 'green tea green-yellow' tinge. It was completely flat on the bottom and moved ever so slightly. My growing curiosity prompted me to dive in for a closer look and I watched Wobby, in awe of its continuously sensing whiskers. I later found out that Wobbegong sharks are quite aggressive and have been known to lacerate human flesh, when provoked. Yikes, good to know for future encounters!
Besides the shark, I spotted about 4 Common Stingrays, a bunch of Blue Garoupas, a Morwong and a healthy school of small fish. All in all, a very productive result for a last minute test of my newly purchased snorkel.

Bird Rock revisited

(23 March 2014, Watercolours on canvas)

I had initially completed this watercolour piece on the 28 September 2003 and I painted it sparsely. Its previous incarnation can be seen in my first post. I was using a technique I developed in my teens, which was semi-mechanical and devoid of warmth, if I say so myself.

Hence, an update was deemed necessary on my part. I hope it radiates the searing heat of that day I spent at Bird Rock all those years ago.



Dawdle the Mandarin Duckling

(23 March 2014, Wax pastels on cardboard)

My quest for my artistic enterprise to take flight continues and as mentioned in my last post, the business of art is tough. Hence, I need to diversify and I am and have been trying out different ideas that hopefully can lead to financial support and independence.

I present to you the illustrations of the yet to be titled first story of Dawdle the Mandarin Duckling. A lot of hard work awaits me. 
Till next week.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment